Temporary Foreign Workers

A work permit is needed to work legally in Canada, unless you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.  To become a Temporary Foreign Worker, there are multiple steps to be taken.  First, if looking to become a Temporary Foreign Worker, the applicant must obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer.  One a job offer has been obtained, the employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) where Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) will decide if the employer is eligible to hire a Temporary Foreign Worker. There are different types of temporary work permits for an individual to apply to such as, live-in caregivers, business people and agricultural workers.